Sommelier Certificate Course - Upcoming Classes
Sommelier Certificate Course
Sommelier certificate course FALL~WINTER 2018
The SSA Certificate Course is an intensive 20-week program rooted in the vibrant New York City wine trade. It covers the foundation, appreciation and business trends of the US market:
1. Seminars on major and emerging wine production regions of the world
2. Interactive tasting analysis of benchmark wines from top producers, with a review of current and historical vintages in each region
3. Current market trends and business application
The SSA faculty is comprised of working career professionals with expertise in all aspects of the wine industry. Our students also engage with visiting winemakers and have access to a network of alumni and other industry leaders.
SSA students graduate equipped with the necessary foundation and business skills needed to design and manage a successful wine program.
CLASS ATMOSPHERE, FINAL EXAM & DIPLOMA
Deviating from the typical memorization-heavy, “here’s-the-book-go-home-and-read-it” methods, SSA classes are highly interactive and stress cooperative learning. We encourage and assist students in creating their own tasting groups for offsite discussions and test preparation.
The final exam includes a written portion and blind tasting component. Students will have online collateral and “Test Your Knowledge" materials to prepare them for the certification test. Those who pass the exam will receive the SSA Sommelier Certification Diploma.
$2,195.00, includes text book and materials. Applications must be accompanied by payment for tuition to secure your place. Contact Us for corporate group rates.
One may register and pay by credit card through our website. If you would like to pay by check, please email us at SommelierSocietyofAmerica@gmail.com with your request.
Weekly, Tuesdays, 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Maison de la Region Occitanie / Pyrenees-Mediterranee
724 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10019
Registered students will receive a welcome letter with directions and other important details.
Students must be 21 years or older.
* Wines for the weekly tastings, a minimum of eight per class, diverse and unique to each semester, are selected by our Chairman in consultation with our Education Director.
Advanced Tasting Workshops
Advanced Tasting Workshops
Advanced Tasting Workshops *
Intensive blind-tasting exercises.
No two Workshops are alike.
All Workshops, focus on blind-tasting, by featuring newly selected grape varietals, producers, and regions, designed to expand wine knowledge, and palate.
Each day we will explore a wide selection of high-end wines from the world’s top growing regions. We will discuss the concept of New World vs. Old World style and how the factors of region, climate, soil, viticulture and vinification affect a wine’s various components, flavor profile and ability to age. We will also cover Commercial, Sustainable, Organic & Biodynamic Vineyard practices. Each workshop will feature wines by winemakers that industry professionals consider to be the best.
Students can prepare using the SSA Deductive Tasting Format for these exercises.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THESE WORKSHOPS?
- Graduates* of the Sommelier Society of America’s Certificate program (*exam achievement greater than 75% recommended, but not required)
- Those who have taken previous workshops; no two workshops are alike.
- Those with course or wine tasting equivalency, and a desire to increase their overall experience
WHAT THESE WORKSHOPS CAN DO FOR YOU:
- Develop advanced level deductive tasting skills
- Develop and enhance tasting notes skills
- Develop skills to analyze wines according to region, style, varietal, flavor aroma and aging potential
- Confidence in your developed palate, knowing and defining descriptors
* If you are interested in registering for an Advanced Tasting Workshop, please email us to be placed on our waitlist.